ගොවි ජනතාවගේ ආර්ථික පුනර්ජීවනය සහ දේශීය ආහාර සුරෂිතභාවය තහවුරු කිරීම පිණිස ක්ෂේත්ර බෝග සංවර්ධන කටයුතු සඳහා අවශ්ය තාක්ෂණය ජනනය කිරීම තුළින් තුලනාත්මක හා තිරසාර කෘෂිකර්ම සංවර්ධනයක් ඇතිකිරීම සඳහා ජාතික කේන්ද්රස්ථානයක් වශයෙන් ක්රියා කිරීම
- Development of improved varieties of high yielding improved varieties of other field crops, dry zone vegetables and fruits suitable for irrigated and rainfed conditions with pest, disease and drought resistance quality.
- Development of plant protection strategies to minimize crop losses due to pest and diseases
- Development of improved agronomic practices to reduce the cost of production, to increase the productivity of agricultural lands and crops.
- Testing the adaptability of new improved varieties and technologies.
- Developing improved soil and water conservation methods and soil fertility management practices.
To conduct research and development programs on field crops aiming at developing new technology, and facilitating the technology dissemination for enhancement of production and productivity in the field crop sector. Field crops include condiments (chilli and onions), grain legumes (mungbean, cowpea, blackgram, pigeon pea and chickpea), oil seed crops (groundnut, soybean, sesame and sunflower) and non-rice cereals (maize, sorghum, finger millet and other minor millets).
At regional level responsibility extends to crops such as fruits, vegetables, rice etc. to deal with problems specific to the region. Programs are conducted under various disciplines such as crop improvement, agronomy, plant pathology, entomology, weed science, cropping systems, soil and water management, horticulture and technology adoption research (economics, adaptive research, participatory research etc.).
Goals given below are common to both institutes.
- Technology innovation on varietal improvement
- Technology development on plant protection
- Sustainable field crops production through proper soil and water management and enhanced soil fertility.
- Development of agronomic practices for successful crop production under irrigated and rainfed conditions
- Energy saving farm machinery, post harvest processing techniques development to facilitate the crop production
- Facilitation of extensive adoption of the technological innovations originated from the Field Crops Research & Develpment Institute by creating strong linkage between reseach & extension staff towards achievement of the mission of FCRDI.
Additional Director FCRDI